Joy B Fitzgerald Inc
2207 Adventureland DR
PO Box 366
Altoona, IA 50009
P (515) 967-5114
F (515) 967-7641
Hours M-F 8am-5pm
Closed Major Holidays
Blog Index
The journal that this archive was targeting has been deleted. Please update your configuration.

IFTA Permits

What is the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), and what does it require?

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement among states to report fuel taxes by interstate motor carriers. To register, you must:

Have an established place of business in the state from which your motor carrier operations are performed

  • Have accrued mileage in your state
  • Maintain or make available your operating records, or those of your fleet
  • Operate in at least one other jurisdiction

Under the IFTA, you are issued a license and a set of IFTA decals for your truck; these will allow you to operate in all other jurisdictions without buying additional decals from each of those areas. A copy of the IFTA license may be used in your truck instead of your original license.

You can obtain further information about IFTA by contacting us.


How do I register under the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?

Complete an IFTA application for your state of residence, or request that Joy B Fitzgerald Inc take care of this for you. Once you register with IFTA, a quarterly tax return must be filed even if the licensee does not operate or purchase fuel in any IFTA jurisdiction in any particular quarter.


How do I file an IFTA quarterly tax return?

An IFTA Tax Return which is mailed on a quarterly basis to licensed carriers. Included with these forms is the IFTA Quarterly Tax Rate Schedule. 

What are the reporting quarters and due dates for the IFTA tax return filings?


Tax Return Reporting Quarters

Due Dates

January through March

April 30

April through June

July 31

July through September

October 31

October through December

January 31


What is the expiration date and renewal period for IFTA decals?

IFTA decals expire on December 31 of each year. A two-month grace period means that you MUST have your decals by the last day in February of the next fuel-tax registration year.